I’m doing an experiment today. I’m pretending I don’t have OCD. I’m pretending I’m normal. I’m attempting to go a full day without performing any OCD rituals, without giving into compulsions. I have been doing well since I got up around 9:00 am, because I have just been sitting around at home on my computer and reading. My anxiety is moderate and my hands feel contaminated, but I’m ok. I’m going to try some exposures in a little while and see if I can keep this up.
The rules for today include:
- Washing hands only before eating, after going to the bathroom and when visibly dirty
- Hand washing not to exceed 15 seconds (including rinse)
- NO hand sanitizer
- NO rinsing, no water on my hands except during allowed washing
- Shower must be 10 minutes or less
- Checking things (locks, etc.) only one time
Exposures should include:
- Normal ERP homework
- Going to the grocery store
- Getting mail
- Household chores
I’ll update later tonight or in the morning with the results.